Saturday, January 17, 2009

This is winter in Virginia?




OK, -2 is just cold. This has got to be the coldest day on the farm since we've owned it. Luckily, I had Dave's help today breaking the ice in the pond. It was 4 inches thick. My hand is still swollen from yesterday's ice hacking. I had to fill the troughs by hand with water buckets. And you'll love this . . . my carharts were so warm and constricting that I could barely bend over to scoop up the water. Ha! The horses are fine, the ponies are fine, and the two goats are fine. Maybe later in the week when it's 20 something, I'll wear a t-shirt. Say a little prayer for the animals tonight - theyre not used to this type of VA winter.


2 comments:

karen strayer said...

GIRL! When you called this morning I honestly thought you were gonna tell me you have frozen solid in place and could not move or better yet- you just couldn't stand it, and had to try that ol' stick your tongue on the flag pole (or bell pole as it were) trick !!!

Glad Dave was there to help...I'll see you at church and on Monday morning!!!!Stay warm today.

Agape Hill Farm said...

Well, I'd LIKE to feel sympathy for you, but...it was 36 below 0 here yesterday morning! Our water troughs froze like that in October. We have heated waters for the llamas and cows. The horses have buckets in the barn. I will concede, however, that this is about the coldest weather I've seen in a very long time. Guess coming to visit you to escape the cold isn't going to work!